Does Cutting Your Hair Have to Mean Anything?

50B6F290-7926-4E15-8D39-B1FF5119D672

I did it. I chopped it all off. Not like a trim of a few inches. Like literally–it’s. all. gone.

It’s been 10 years since I’ve had my hair this short. It wasn’t a decision I’ve been sitting on for a while. More of an on-a-whim feeling. I scrolled and clicked through hundreds of images on Pinterest…for hours! And then I scheduled an appointment to get it chopped the very next day.

It was thrilling and exciting to wait in anticipation! It just felt like the thing that needed to be done.

I imagined what I would look like. I thought about all the features that I like about myself (my shapely eyebrows, my dark eyes, my full lips, my slender neck, my delicate ears) that would get to be on prominent display.

I thought about all the women in the images I pinned. What I saw in them that inspired me–confidence, sass, rebellion, elegance, power, feminine energy, groundedness.

And then the fear began to creep in.

“You cut your hair. It looks…nice.” “Why’d you do it?” “But I loved your curls.” “Excuse me, sir?”

That last one really hits a nerve.

Why do these words have the power to cut me to the bone? Why do others’ opinions matter so much to us? Why do they cause such self-doubt, even when we know we’ve made the choice that’s right for us?

Because we have a desire to feel good about ourselves.

But when we want to feel good for ourselves more than we want to please others, that’s when we’ve stepped into our power. No explanation or permission needed. Just pure [passionate, truthful, joyful, connected, turned on, brave, vibrant, strong, soulful, inspired, free, loving] desire.

Choose the way you want to feel…and then lean into it!

BREATHE NEW LIFE INTO YOUR WARDROBE
GET MY FREE 3-STEP GUIDE AND WEEKLY UPDATES

8 Comments on Does Cutting Your Hair Have to Mean Anything?

1. Jamie
    June 25, 2014 at 1:02 pm (6 months ago)

OMG I NEED TO SEE MORE PICS!!!! :) So proud of you for doing what you wanna do!

• Natalie
      June 25, 2014 at 1:42 pm (6 months ago)

Thanks Jamie! More pics will definitely be coming!

2. Alyson
    June 25, 2014 at 4:23 pm (6 months ago)

Rock on sister! Way to follow what feels good to you and not let outside voices stop you. I can’t wait to see photos!

• Natalie
      June 25, 2014 at 6:10 pm (6 months ago)

Thanks Alyson! Can’t wait to share them.

3. Sarah S
    June 25, 2014 at 5:15 pm (6 months ago)

I love love short hair styles on ladies! I’ve cut mine quite a few times as well. It’s so empowering and I love all of the inspirations that you had from the short-haired women’s images. I also get the few comments that can cut you down and make you question a decision that you felt so right about just seconds before. I think it’s so true about the importance of wanting to feel good for ourselves more than wanting to please others. I’m definitely working on that! Can’t wait to see more pics!!

• Natalie
      June 25, 2014 at 6:12 pm (6 months ago)

Yep, Sarah, I go through cycles of cutting and growing my hair. You can always tell when it’s time to change, right?

4. Homa
    July 8, 2014 at 11:56 am (6 months ago)

You know, Natalie, when I first knew you in undergrad you had short hair so the new cut not only looks great (as did the style before) but it feels more familiar to me. Of course, you don’t need anyone’s approval but I recently cut my hair much shorter than usual and what I love is that it is wash and go! My kids said I looked like a boy but I don’t care, I am a lot more efficient and put together this way.

• Natalie
      July 8, 2014 at 4:37 pm (6 months ago)

Oh my! Yes, that’s the last time I had my hair that short. I bet yours looks darling too! Wash and go is definitely a perk. I never have to worry about leaving the house with wet hair. If having a “boy’s hairstyle” means getting out the door faster and feeling put together, then that’s something to love!